- People can change, but you can never make them change.
- Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck. — Dalai Lama
- Talk less, listen more.
- Luck favors the prepared, darling. –Edna Mode, The Incredibles
- Envy is a wasted emotion.
- Take time to write a Thank You note.
- No one will ever love you as much as your cat or dog.
- My friends are my estate. — Emily Dickinson
- You will never regret showing kindness to people.
- Honor your grandparents. Without them, there is no you.
- Volunteer at some point in your life.
- Share your favorite recipes.
- Establish routines and traditions within your own family, even if they’re silly and unconventional.
- Spend some time outside each day.
- Give people the benefit of the doubt, but when people show you who they are, believe them.
- Beware of shiny things with little substance.
- Beware of shiny people with little substance.
- Children need the most love when they’re the least lovable.
- Play the hand you’re dealt, and bloom where you’re planted.
- NPR makes you appear smarter than you actually are.
- Accept compliments graciously.
- Give compliments generously.
- Value your children beyond their God-given looks and smarts; focus on their character.
- It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. — J.K. Rowling
- If you’re having doubts about your engagement, it is neither normal, nor a promising sign.
- When you marry for money, you will work every day of your life.
- Tip generously, and never insult people who handle your food.
- Drink more water than you think you need.
- Don’t write any email while angry or intoxicated. Let it sit for a day.
- Bake cookies for your kids on the first day of school.
- Make the effort to stay in touch with old friends.
- Be patient with your parents.
- If you judge people, you have no time to love them. — Mother Teresa
- Sometimes it’s necessary to bite your tongue to keep the peace.
- Clean your house before going on vacation.
- Surround yourself with smart, positive, virtuous people, and you will grow.
- Never stop growing.
- True nobility isn’t about being better than someone else. It’s about being better than you used to be. — Wayne Dyer
- Try to step out of your comfort zone at least once a year.
- Avoid any diet plan which prohibits pizza.
- Good wine, good cheese, and fresh bread are the perfect ingredients for a Friday night.
- Take nothing and no one for granted.
- Everything changes. And that’s okay.
- A ship in port is safe, but that’s not what ships are built for. — Grace Murray Hopper
Well I know a woman with a collection of sticks
She could fight back the hundreds of voices she heard
And she could poke at the greed, she could fend off her need
And with anger she found she could pound every word.
But one voice got through, caught her up by surprise
It said, “Don’t hold us back, we’re the story you tell,”
And no sooner than spoken, a spell had been broken
And the voices before her were trumpets and tympani
Violins, basses and woodwinds and cellos, singing
“We’re so glad that you finally made it here
You thought nobody cared, but we did, we could tell
And now you’ll dance through the days while the orchestra plays
And oh-oh oh-oh-oh oh-oh, you’re aging well.”
— Dar Williams, You’re Aging Well