Today we harvested the first crop of radishes from our garden. I think I was about 30 years old before I could say I liked radishes, so if they’re not your thing right now, maybe they will appeal to you at some point in the future.They are so vibrant and beautiful that every year I find myself photographing them just for fun. But they are not just pretty to look at — radishes are filled with vitamin C, as well a group of compounds called isothiocyanates, which are shown to be effective against some types of cancer cells.
- About 12 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Ground Urfa or other mild chilies to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint or cilantro